Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dreamland

We are standing in the kitchen as if we had done so a thousand other nights. The weather is cool and a slight breeze permeates the air. My parents are here this time. I think it odd at first, to have you and them together, but the more I think, the more natural it seems.


I complain about things. You listen. Like you always do. Listening has always been something you do well. You know just the right thing to say during each pause. Ten measures of music followed by one measure of rest. Other nights,
we exchange roles, although the song is the same. Tonight, I am the
music, you are my rest.


You are in my room as I enter. I sit down on the bed. You then offer me help to the problems I had mentioned earlier. Help that I never expected… but perhaps should have.


“You don’t have to do that,” I say. “Really, it’s unnecessary.”


“But I want to. I care about you and I want to help,”


I slowly get up from the bed. I walk over towards you and wrap my arms around you. Your embrace always soothes away the most wearisome of days, but today it is has a feeling like I never felt before. I smile. We hold one another as if the world is ending.


“I wish this could last forever,” you whisper in my ear.


We hold each other tighter. I can imagine myself in no better place than in your sweet embrace. We then stand here, silently, gazing into each other’s eyes. Your cute smile withers away all my worries.


“I can tell you’re a really great guy.”


I squeeze you tighter as the words fall out of your mouth. My heart beats faster. My mind races in every direction.


I then awake from this mockery of reality to find myself alone. I rollover in bed and clutch my pillow. For now this will have to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment